So I made a thing. This is actually the second sanctus bells pillow I’ve made. I forgot to take pictures of the first one before donating it to my parish.
The best improvement of this pillow over the first is the stuffing. For the first I used normal cotton batting. I may have overstuffed it, but I needed it to support the heavy weight of the bells. This one has cluster fiber fill. It’s used for stuffed animals and is sooo squishy. I felt like I could keep cramming more fill in there and it would never be too stiff. Yet it is still substantial enough to support the bells.
The second improvement was the type of cloth. I went ahead and bought an upholstery fabric this time. The first pillow was a polyester satin. It was what I had around, but it is not holding up well to being slid across the chapel floor. It’s also filthy now (the first one is white) but I have no idea how to clean it. I’m planning on replacing that pillow so at this point I don’t really care.
The third improvement was placing the tassels during the sewing of the seam. The strings that keep the tassel in place are sewn to the inside of the pillow. On the first one I had put them on afterward and attempted to hide the strings in the cording. It worked somewhat but that pillow has a more distinct upside and downside.
I still haven’t figured out how to join the cording smoothly. One this one the join itself is better, but somehow the cloth involved ended up bunching.
I did not incorporate the accent color into the tassels well. Since I was going to be manipulating them so much during the sewing process (turning the pillow right-side-out, etc) I decided not to cut the loops until the pillow was done. This took away some opportunity to fix the mistake. So now they have this random copper stripe.
Overall I’m rather happy with it. I plan on making a new white one for my parish, and I have enough maroon to make 3 more that I’ll try to sell.